Thursday, July 30, 2015

DID YOU KNOW THAT LEGOLAND SUCKS WHEN IT'S RAINING OUTSIDE

My goal this morning was simply to wake up and make my way to camp with everything I needed for the overnight tonight. Unfortunately nothing goes smoothly for me, and today was no exception. For some reason, no laundry seemed to have been done recently so I began to worry about having enough clothes, or more specifically the right clothes. In particular I was concerned about the mysteriously disappearing Shabbat shirt. I somehow managed to get myself and all of my gear to camp on time, and made it on the bus to Legoland. On the way there I worked on my laptop to fix the scavenger hunt that Gera and I had failed at last time, but all the kids thought I was blogging, which I did on the way back. The group of kids I had at Legoland was the most attention-deficient children I have ever met, and they insisted on stopping at every single thing made of Legos. SPOILER: EVERYTHING THERE IS MADE OF LEGOS. We made our way past roller coaster with long wait times in favor of those little Lego models that squirt water, water that my kids tried to drink, despite there being water fountain in close proximity. I didn’t really care what we did for the first hour because we had lunch and then three more hours at the park. For lunch I could not have been more excited to eat my leftovers from the previous night’s Cheesecake Factory extravaganza, but when I opened the box of cheesecake, the entire thing had melted into a puddle of liquid sadness. We left the lunch pavilion with plenty of time to spare to go on every roller coaster we wanted. We first made our way to the closest roller coaster around, which was fun for a fifteen minute wait time. We decided that the next roller coaster we’d hit up was one all the way across the park, but as we prepared to be exhilarated, the operator came out and told us that it was all of a sudden closed due to lightning in the area. We waited another ten minutes in line, hoping that it would reopen. but it didn’t so we made our way to the bathrooms for a quick pit stop. While we were there, it happened to be just our luck that it started to rain and then pour. One of my kids started to cry and I asked what was wrong and he informed me, “It’s raining.” “Oh well, nothing we can do about it,” I replied. We found an indoor ride with a 45 minute wait time and stood under cover as my kids and I slowly inched forward in line. We got in line at 2:45 and had to be back to the front of the park by 3:45. This seemed manageable but as the time approached 3:00 and then 3:15 and then 3:30, I became concerned. My counselor-in-training was also noticeably annoyed by the weather and commented, "Welcome to Lakeland, Florida." That's when it dawned on me where Legoland was and why it sucked so much, Lakeland is my least favorite city in Florida. After fuming for a while about being there, we got to the front of the line and went on the five-minute ride. We regrouped and checked the time. Only 8 minutes to get to the front of the park. We knew we could make it! Then we took a wrong turn and had to turn around and got there late. The bus ride home was a lot sleepier than the one to the park, and I learned that 5 o'clock traffic is 100% a real thing. Dinner and swim capped off the busy day hiding from the rain, but somehow campers managed to lose their clothes constantly. First it's shirts, then bathing suits, one kid couple weeks ago even lost his underwear. Back inside we finally got the campers down and were able to take our breaks, but I ended up playing dodge ball with the theater group in the gym, and then eating ice cream with Jess and Gera in our boss's office, before we tried going to sleep. Everything amplifies in funniness at 12:30 so falling asleep was no easy task.

No comments:

Post a Comment