Wednesday, July 29, 2015
My dog has one eye
In an act that disgusts even myself, I began my summer reading this morning and I couldn't be more ashamed. It actually almost made me late to work where one little girl was celebrating her eighth birthday and telling every single person about it. Birthdays at camp are great because it's like back in elementary school when there'd be birthdays and kids bring in cookies, except you're the teacher and get to eat leftovers too. Many a cupcake was eaten this summer. On the opposite end of that spectrum, the regular sports specialist has been out for OCPS teacher training this week, so we ended up having a basketball coach do our sports period. These kids are used to the indoors, so when the new coach made them actually run outside where it was hot, somehow shockingly, they all complained for forty-five minutes. During the water break, the literal talk around the water cooler was that they didn't like running in the outdoors. The kids decided that the best way to get a longer water break was to throw their water at me, which just made me look sweatier, cause that's something I needed in my life. As I walked one little girl back, I saw that a game of soccer had started. I told her, "if they play soccer I guarantee someone is going to get injured." Sure enough, right as we got there, one little girl fell in the grass and started crying. As soon as we went over to her she hopped back up and started playing again, but she had to make sure that we all knew she was bravely overcoming the injury first. At lunch time, the same girl who I was talking with earlier told me that she didn't have a lunch today because she was moving and they had no food at home. I related well because when we moved a year ago, my mom stopped buying groceries two weeks before we left so it was basically a scavenger hunt to find food. I went inside and made her a jelly sandwich. After she ate it, someone walkie talkied that this girls lunch just got there from the deli at the end of lunch time. A lot of good that did me. In drama, the specialist had each of us say what we wanted to do when we grew up, and while all of the kids said gymnasts and fashion designers, I said that I'd like to be a writer. "You already are a writer," one girl said, "you have a blog!" The number of stuff kids actually retain astounds me, and I was cracking up after hearing that. The weekly staff outing was to The Cheesecake Factory where the camp surprised us by paying for four appetizers. The 16 staff members in attendance had to split into groups of four and I convinced my group to order the most expensive item, Thai lettuce wraps. I sat next to my boss who told me that I was too jokey and that she didn't "know the real me." I decided to open up to her and talk some feelings; afterward she said, "aw Jacob! You do have a heart!" I feel it necessary to mention that the drink I ordered was a strawberry lemonade mixed with Dr. Pepper, here on out known as a 'J Free-Z'. Gera had to go to my house to work on making a new scavenger hunt for tomorrow so I introduced him to my dog who only has one eye after a fight with Glaucoma. When he left, Caroline and Grace rolled up and I hopped in the car, only to run back to the house for my laptop so that my siblings wouldn't read this blog. Since Caroline won't log out of my Spotify Premium, we listened to some of my favorite jams on the drive. I got home at 11:30 and realized I should sleep because there's an overnight at camp tomorrow, but somehow I managed to waste two hours staying awake.
Labels:
Birthdays,
Camp,
Cheescake Factory,
Dr. Pepper,
Spotify,
writing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment