Friday, July 17, 2015
QOTD
This morning I woke up early at 7:15 to my ridiculously loud alarm clock that my mom gave to me as a Hanukkah "gift." In reality she was treating herself to the gift of not trying to get my sleepy tuchus out of bed every single morning, but in either scenario the real loser here is me. As soon as I got up I decided that instead of going back to bed I'd stay awake and get ready for my day, but things never seem to go exactly as you think they will. Working at a Jewish camp requires that the staff wear 'Shabbat shirts' every Friday, and today was especially important being that it was our camp-wide Israel day. What is Israel day you didn't ask? Well I'll tell you anyway! It's a day where the entire camp gets to learn about different cultural aspects of Israel, as well as where 7 and 8 year old's pretend like they can actually find the Middle East on a map. As I went through my drawers looking for my Shabbat shirt I started to grow worried, realizing quickly that the entire camp would have on white and blue and in 45 minutes I would have to leave, with or without the shirt. Now if you're thinking I found the shirt at the last minute and made it just in time to work, then you'd be wrong, because I had to ask my boss for an extra. They day was comprised of different stations, the first of which was an outdoor pita bread making activity. One of the children in my group who was allergic to gluten decided to participate anyway and offered me her pita; in fact, she asked if she could help and then made my pita for me, because when it comes to baking, even a 7 year old is better than me. That's probably why mom won't let me use the stove. When the pitas were done we covered them in chocolate and ate them except I ended up getting a huge brown stain on my borrow white shirt. Dancing followed pita making as I made a fool of myself while trying to keep up with the confusing dance steps that went along with the Israeli music, unfortunately while dancing I accidentally bonked a child on the head with my elbow and had to get her ice in a plastic glove because there seemed to be no more ziploc bags. I gave her the ice and said, "I heard you needed a helping hand," to which she ignored because she claims to be allergic to boys. The day continued on uninterruptedly until the end of the day during song session, when we all had to do an Israeli dance. The middle of the song calls for a free dance where I did a combination of the moon walk and wu-tang that resembled a fish trying to dig through sand. Song session went on to include a song about trees where one of the verses was just naming 30 different kinds of trees. In after care one child disputed the song saying, "let's stand up for bushes, give bushes the respect they deserve." Another child wouldn't stop saying 'butt cheek.' After a long day of sweat and dance, I came home and asked my mom what was there for dinner. She asked if we had any cheese, or if I wanted her to nuke a hot dog. All of a sudden she asked excitedly, "Do you want cereal?? I have fresh Honey Bunches of Oats, it's right here," she took out a bag of cereal and then put it back for a different bag of cereal, "or maybe this is the fresh one," she said. "Oh well, they're probably both fresh," she said semi-confidently. I poured myself a bowl as my mom asked for me not to tell my Gram about cereal for dinner because Gram thinks mom doesn't try hard enough when it comes to dinner. I wonder why. Anyway, when I finished my cereal I went to the YMCA with my brother and dad. I was insistent that we played basketball but all of the hoops were lowered for the youth league. My dad saw this as an opportunity and decided to dunk on a backboard that said no dunking and, surprise surprise, it almost fell. While my family shot around, a chubby Hispanic kid joined us and we played a game of two on two. Getting home, I had to shower and get dressed before going out with a friend for some Chic-fil-a and to talk some trash. Overall an A+ day that ended with me staying up until 2 am because it's the freakin weekend baby!
Labels:
Basketball,
Camp,
Cereal,
Cheese,
Chic-fil-a,
Israel,
Jewish,
YMCA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment