Thursday, August 6, 2015
One day more
What a day today was. I woke up and forgot that on field trip days I have to be at camp early, so I rushed out of the house and stared at the clock the entire way there. Then I learned that I didn't actually have to be there for another fifteen minutes, and I'm not one of those people who likes to arrive early for things so I didn't even pretend to be happy about the fifteen extra minutes I could have slept for. All morning we prepared for our field trip to Semoran Skateway which included all kids from second to ninth grade. Trying to find all of the kids skates to wear was a huge pain, but the real pain was caused by the kids unto themselves because none of them could really skate. On of my campers fell every single time he got back up, even when he was just on the carpet. It really cracked us up so we gave him an award to make up for that. While we were there we requested all sorts of songs that we could dance to, mostly because we rented the place out so there was no one to laugh at the all-white staff doing the wobble. Injuries galore occurred while we skated, which was expected; one little girl hurt her ankle and was crying, so I picked her up and carried her back to my boss, then her counselor said, "Hey Jacob, my ankle's broken too!" On the way back to camp I sat in the back of the bus with some of the loudest kids at camp, I actually got a headache after being asked 25,000 times why we can't watch a movie on the 15-minute ride back. At camp, I continued my reign as the best foosball player as I dominated against eight-year old's. Aftercare was long and uneventful because everyone was tired after skating, and we all knew camp was almost over. Instead of having a staff outing yesterday, we had a staff banquet tonight which took place in the very fancy and exclusive club: the youth room in the back of the JCC. Beforehand, all of the guys got ready in the locker rooms. One of my friends said something about not having enough soap so I took some of my underwear, loaded it up with soap, and flung it into the shower he was in. "Incoming soap!" I warned. A night of sentiment took place as everyone was recognized, I was even called "goofy" by my boss. Not sure how to feel about that. Staff superlatives were awarded and I got 'Camp Comedian' which is basically the same as last year's award of 'Silliest Staff'. It even kept with the alliteration. Also at camp, there is a program called the 'All-American Counselor Challenge' which I thought would be competition based, but turned out to actually test your skills as an employee because the program was about demonstrating all eight pillars of being a good counselor. On the first award I got, my name was spelled 'Jacob Fried' which my boss felt awful about and corrected by the next day. Today when I was given a certification of completion, I found it funny that once again he had misspelled my name. "No, I didn't," he said, "read it." I read it and it said, "This award hereby fails to recognize Jacob Fried because no one by that name competed in Camp J's All-American Counselor Challenge." Then my boss gave me the real award and I was actually pretty happy about it. The night ended with a slideshow, in which none of my selfies were included. I rode home and listened to The Jacob Freid Experience before getting ready to finally go to sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment