Friday, August 7, 2015

My heart will go on: I never saw Titanic

Even as I write this I am emotionally and physically exhausted from the most difficult day of all this summer. No campers were hitting each other and no one got lost (for too long), but it was really difficult to let go of all the kids I came to know and love this summer. I got into work where immediately things felt different, a sense of nostalgia for the beginning of summer was apparent. The entire morning was dominated by drama within the staff, which took away from the day as a whole, but nonetheless it came to a head as the groups split up to practice their talent show dances for the final time. My kids were in a room with one other group; we went up to the front of the room and started dancing to Watch Me. I messed around the entire time and did some ridiculous dance moves that made my kids laugh hysterically every time they looked back and saw me. They made me promise not to do anything embarrassing during the actual talent show. On stage at the end of the day, our kids were fantastic but for some reason, really off-center. We had always practiced them coming on from opposite sides but the couldn't because one wing was filled so they all entered from one side but didn't spread all the way out and it ended up clumping on one side. Regardless, a wonderful job was done and I was proud of each and every one of those children. Then, the assistant counselors danced to a High School Musical medley that I could describe or just post here. The talent show ended and parents began picking up their kids for the last time. It was a heartfelt moment during which many cried, except me. I was fine until I walked one of my favorite campers to her car and closed the door, I told her that I'd miss her and she told me that she loves me, to which I replied, "I love you too." I almost cried, but held myself together for the sake of all of the other counselors. The rest of the day was pretty much insignificant because I did aftercare and went home. My dad's business had just completed their second "Think-A-Thon" which is where they do 26.2 straight hours of work for a pro bono client, but what it meant for me was that dad was going to be bringing home food. Spaghetti and meatballs from Buca Di Beppo and donuts and biscottis were all on the menu for dinner and I dined like a king. Upon turning on my phone I realized that I forgot that I was supposed to hang out with my friend Lauren tonight so I went to Park Avenue with her and her brother and hung out till going home for a well deserved night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment