Tuesday, August 4, 2015
Im(pro)v
Today was, what we at camp refer to as, Tubular Tuesday. Every few weeks we have a themed dress up day and today was the last one of camp. I have dressed from the future for decades day and today, for the theme of 'What do you want to be when you grow up?', I dressed as a male model. It was by far the most unique costume out there. I cut some old jeans into j-orts for casual wear, I turned one jean leg into a fie and one into a bandana, then I cut the sleeves off of an old button-down and put it all together with high socks and some basketball shoes. This was assembled in the thirty minutes allocated for getting ready in the morning before going to work. It was met with praise and a few "typical Jacob"s. When camp began we, meaning my co-counselor Hailey, decided that instead of doing the same games we normally do, I'm going to go up in front of the children and act out an improv scene. It's not like I really needed time to prepare, it being improvised and all, so I hopped right into it. I pulled in a couple of other counselors and CITs and the kids were dying laughing. In one scene I tried to learn ballet and then proposed to my ballet instructor, played by another male counselor. Another scene involved three things that the audience requested, night, dog treats, and a cart wheel. The scene started with me rolling a cart full of dog treats up a hill at night. The cart wheel breaks and I find a cat and things devolve quickly. In the room we were in, there were doors on either side and as I picked up my friend, who played the cat, I opened one of the doors that led to another room, and pushed him out the door and in to the next room. What I had not foreseen was that the room would be occupied, and a bunch of middle-age preschool teachers would be staring at me wide-eyed, mouths agape. I apologized and ran out, back in the room with my kids they were cracking themselves up to see me make that mistake. The last scene we did involved this weird undercover cop scenario where my partner hand cuffed me and the thief got away, but not before one of my kids stood up and grabbed him, then demanded a high five for her brilliant work. Finally it was time for the show the theatre department had been working on for four weeks, but it took them a while to get ready so we did another improv scene in front of the whole camp. This one took place before my date where I was brushing my arm hair. Afterwards the same child kept coming up to me asking to brush my arm hair. In after care I went to grab my co-counselors back pack from the gym and took what I thought was her bag. I looked around an found another one exactly like it, lying next to our clipboard. I looked to the only other kid on the bleachers and asked if the backpack I was holding was his. "Yeah," he replied. I didn't hear him and asked again. "Yeah," he said louder. "Oh," I said, "then why did you let me take it?" He looked confused. I handed the bag back to him and apologized for breaking the zipper in the fifteen seconds I had it for. After a long day at work I got home where my mother had laid out the clothes for my date with her tonight. I ignored them and dressed myself but she said I was handsome regardless. We drove to Hillstone where I more than anything expected to see my friend Baxter who practically lives there. My mom and I talked for a while about camp and my friends and whatnot; the food was delicious and some of it is now in my fridge, excited to be eaten tomorrow for lunch. When the bill came I gentlemanly picked it up and walked my mother back to the car, of course she made one of the valets take a picture of us because she's all about her Instagram. Back at home I was excited to see a letter had arrived containing an OFFICIAL Bernie Sanders bumper sticker that my dad said was not allowed on the car.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment