Sunday, August 2, 2015

Back to the daily grind

I awoke on the hard floor of the Waldorf Astoria and climbed upon a bed and slept for a couple of more hours. When I woke up it was just my sister and I in the hotel room and my immediate reaction was "oh hell no, I've gotta get out of here!" Breakfast consisted of a blueberry muffin and coffee as I made my way out to the body surfing place, where a bunch of 11-year-old's showed off their tricks while I managed to barely hang on with water hitting me below the belt right as I fell off. That was the end to my body surfing endeavor, and in part because it was time to pack up the room. My siblings were amazed that the hotel actually sent people up to get our bags instead of us bringing them down ourselves. For lunch, we again found ourselves dissatisfied with a couple restaurants before finally choosing one, and by this I mean mom found ourselves dissatisfied with them. I enjoyed a lunch of tilapia but soon after my throat started to hurt as we went home and I became worried that over the course of lunch I had suddenly developed and allergy to fish. I realized I hadn't and I was being dramatic unless the allergy is just waiting for the chance to strike and kill me. The car ride home was long but can be summed up briefly with the idea that it is not easy to annotate a book while sitting in the crowded backseat of a moving Prius. The first place we went when we got back home was to our grandma's house to celebrate my mom's fiftieth birthday. She got a gold ring with a bee on it from my dad and a hat from my brother. Dinner was pizza and salad, with Food Network on in the background to spice things up. My brother's friends came over and I walked all of them around the neighborhood looking for a basketball hoop to play on. My brother rang another friend's doorbell, but no one answered because they were probably eating dinner. "That's rude," he remarked. We walked back to my grandma's just in time to see our car pulling out of the driveway and peeling off down the street. Apparently they had gone to pick us up but we were already back so everyone was just confused. Upon our arrival home, my brother started crying and my mom asked what was wrong, he replied, "I don't want to fight in the army." Okay? Everyone was tired from the active weekend, but then, me being an extrovert and all, I went out with Caroline and Olivia and we bought dozen doughnuts. One was brought to Baxter who showed us his nifty retainer. Olivia drove back to the parking garage where Caroline's car was located as we swapped stories about the last time we had gotten the stomach bug. Caroline then drove me home, but not before finding my dad on twitter and reading some of his more interesting tweets to me. Then I went to bed after watching magic tricks on my computer, because it was that kind of night.

No comments:

Post a Comment